Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Time for another book review!

In Gallup GreedIn Gallup Greed by Tower Lowe
My rating: 5 of 5 stars


I enjoyed the story although it appears to be 2nd in an ongoing series; this is NOT the beginning of the tale... I was able to read this story even though I hadn't previously been introduced to the characters in the first book of the series. I have read books in other series that leave me with more questions than answers due to the fact I'm reading a book somewhere in the middle of a series, and I cannot figure out the relationships between the characters involved. I'm happy to say that wasn't the case in this book!
The author did an exceptional job revealing necessary details of characters, I was able to 'know' each one of them.
The book tells the tale of a vicious stabbing of Lonnie, in Gallup, New Mexico. There are no witnesses. His sister, Mirage, happened to be in a questionable blackout at the time. Or is she lying? Does she have motive to kill her own brother? We meet Cinnamon and Burro, who come to investigate the murder. Cinnamon is also actively seeking her Momma, who disappeared without warning many years ago. It's unrelated to this crime, but it's the motivation behind her investigative drive. Burro, her partner, has visions of the crime, but the devil is in the details. What he sees isn't always an accurate picture. Those considered suspect in the crime are being visited by spirits. Who is responsible, and how can they be caught? It won't be easy, with the number of greedy individuals that may benefit from seeing Lonnie gone.
As we are woven through the tale, it appears everyone we meet is suspect. Even the young boy who has a TBI (Traumatic Brain Injury) I connected with him on some level, as I have actually had a TBI when I was 23. It's a very frustrating condition, and it changes who you are. But could a TBI drive a child to murder someone? And if it does, can the law prosecute a boy who cannot possibly be responsible for his drive to kill?
There are also many shady characters, the owner of an art gallery, even the artists who have contributed their work to the gallery. Everyone wants the biggest piece of the pie in life, maybe enough to kill for it.
In the midst of this investigation, Cinnamon gets a phone call from her Momma. What's the connection? Or is the call completely unrelated to the murder.
The book was very good. I was wrong about the who-dunnit, which made the book better, I don't enjoy a novel that is predictable. I want to be surprised by the reveal, and realize I had been led through a maze the entire time. This book fit the bill.
I'll likely go and read the 1st in the series, just to be re-introduced to each main character. I also love the names these characters have! I found it refreshing to have an entire cast of characters with names I've not heard before, but can still find believable.
Disclaimer: I did receive this book for an unbiased and honest review. I have written exactly that. These are my own thoughts and opinions, and have had no influence or input by another.




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment